- Harrison Davis, aged 6, from Yorkshire, has been named as a ‘Twycross Zoo Discoverer’
- The competition was launched to find children aged eight and under with a passion for nature, conservation and the great outdoors
- The final young recruits were officially announced at Twycross Zoo’s VIP launch of The Gruffalo Discovery Land, which is now open to visitors
Astounding! A young nature enthusiast from Yorkshire has been awarded the exclusive role of ‘Twycross Zoo Discoverer’ by the leading conservation charity.
The Twycross Zoo Discoverer for Yorkshire has been announced following a UK-wide search to find children aged eight and under with a passion for nature and animals, a love of spending time outdoors and a big imagination.
The winning entrants were announced at Twycross Zoo’s VIP launch of The Gruffalo Discovery Land, which is now open to visitors. In his new role, 6-year-old Harrison Davis, from Yorkshire, has joined eight other children from across the UK to be one of the first to discover and explore the new land.
Located in the heart of England at Twycross Zoo, The Gruffalo Discovery Land has been developed in partnership with brand managers Magic Light Pictures and is inspired by the best-selling picture book The Gruffalo written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler. The aim of the four-acre experience is to educate and inspire the next generation about conservation – something that is critical to the future of many species as well as the planet.
Dr Sharon Redrobe OBE, CEO of Twycross Zoo, said: “We are absolutely delighted to unveil our trailblazing team of Twycross Zoo Discoverers who all share a love for nature and the great outdoors. It is so inspiring to see their excitement and enthusiasm at such a young age and they will play a vital role in helping us to educate more young children than ever before on the natural world, and the steps we can all take to help protect it.
“The Gruffalo Discovery Land is a real celebration of imagination, the wonders of nature, and how even small actions can, collectively, make a big difference for the future health of our planet. By enjoying unprecedented access to this brand-new experience at Twycross Zoo, we hope to spark the imaginations of our young Discoverers as they help us to spread the word and inspire other young people about conservation and the difference they can make.”
All budding Twycross Zoo Discoverers were invited to send in their nomination for the role by submitting a photograph of themselves exploring or enjoying nature.
Each of the final nine Discoverers will also be awarded an exclusive ‘Keeper for the Day’ experience and a 12-month membership pass, so they can enjoy the brand-new area and its inhabitants and continue to develop their love and passion for nature.
The Gruffalo Discovery Land at Twycross Zoo is now open. To buy tickets online and plan your visit, go to www.twycrosszoo.org/the-gruffalo-discovery-land/.
About Magic Light Pictures
- Magic Light Pictures is an award winning brand-building company with a strong background in production, creating rich and imaginative experiences for families worldwide.
- The company, founded in 2003, directly manages film production, licensing, global distribution and marketing. The company balances its brand-building work with film making of the highest quality.
- Magic Light’s key brand is The Gruffalo, based on the best-selling picture books by author Julia Donaldson and illustrator Axel Scheffler. Magic Light produced the Oscar and BAFTA-nominated half-hour animated films, The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo’s Child, and has sold them to over 180 broadcasters worldwide. Magic Light also runs a cross-category international merchandising programme for The Gruffalo brand, with over 80 licensees and hundreds of products that capture the charm of the original books. Magic Light also produced Room on the Broom, Stick Man, The Highway Rat, Zog, The Snail and the Whale, Zog and the Flying Doctors and Superworm films – which have proved to be award winning half-hour classics that are as loved as The Gruffalo.
- In 2016 Magic Light produced two half-hours based on Roald Dahl’s Revolting Rhymes. They were watched by 9.3million viewers and have won numerous awards including a BAFTA for Best Animation.
- In 2021 Magic Light released its first children’s series based on the collection of books by Axel Scheffler, Pip and Posy. The show premiered on Milkshake and is also available on Sky Kids.
- Follow on Twitter and Instagram @MagicLightPics
About The Gruffalo
- First published in 1999 The Gruffalo has been described as a ‘modern classic’ and together with is companion book, The Gruffalo’s Child (2004), they have sold over 25 million copies worldwide and been published in 105 languages. The story has also been adapted for an award-winning stage show that tours internationally.
- In 2009 Magic Light Pictures produced a half hour animated special based on The Gruffalo which premiered on BBC One, Christmas Day 2009 to over 10 million viewers and has since won many international awards. The second Gruffalo’s Child film was premiered in 2011 and proved to be just as popular. The brand boasts a theme park attraction at Chessington World of Adventures Resorts, a BAFTA-nominated augmented reality app, and many trails and children’s orienteering activities. In Spring 2022 The Gruffalo Discovery Land will launch at Twycross Zoo.
- Magic Light has also successfully developed a high quality Gruffalo licensing programme with an extensive range of products (over 80 licensees worldwide) available at retail and online. More information about the licensing programme can be found at magiclightpictures.com.
- @MagicLightPics on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.